Friday, April 06, 2007

Vietnam Trip - Day 6 (Qui Nhon)

We've just arrived in Qui Nhon this morning. I've met several aunts (Co), uncles (Chu), cousins (Em) and second cousins (we refer to them as neices and nephews and they refer to us as Co and Chu). It's a little overwhelming trying to keep track of their names but I have a few days to learn them.

We went to see my grandmother today. She was overcome with joy to see the three of us. They wanted to take us up to her house in the mountains one at a time as not to over excite her and cause a heart attack. When it was all said and done I think she demanded that they bring all of us at once.

It was a very emotional homecoming. This is the city where I was born but nothing feels familiar. Tomorrow is supposed to be a tour of the city and visiting childhood places....the hospital where H and I were born, the church where my parents were married, the cemetery where my grandfather and other relatives are buried.

It's amazing how welcomed I feel by the family; how quickly I feel at ease with them. Even though these aunts and uncles haven't seen me in over 32 years, they have welcomed me with open arms, warm kisses and heart felt hospitality. We are staying at Co Ha's house (she is the second eldest aunt). She has built a 3 story house and recently remodeled but her children are all grown and moved away. So, she has room to spare and it's nice staying with family.

Qui Nhon is has a much slower pace than Hanoi. It's a beach town, much like Carlsbad. Not as busy as Hanoi, which is a welcomed relief. Tomorrow, Chu Binh is taking us on a boat tour near some island off the coast. We should be able to go swimming. It's fairly warm during the day, around 82 degrees, but the beach is only a few short blocks away.

We headed down to the beach after our "forced" siesta but only the boys went swimming. My bathing suit is modest by San Diego standards but L and I caused quite a stir just by our presence at the beach in tank tops. We were too shy to actually take our dresses off and go swimming. L says that most of these guys have never seen a hiny and she wasn't about to show them hers.

There weren't many girls there and the few that were wading in the water wore capris and short sleeved shirts. Co Ha says that most of the women go swimming earlier in the day as they have to make dinner after the mid-afternoon nap.

Despite warnings from both my parents and D, I must confess that I did ride on the back of a moped twice today. Once to go up the my grandmother's house, which is quite a trek up the mountain and then once down the mountain. I say mountain, but really it's more of a steep hill. My aunt and uncle wouldn't hear of us walking up in the heat. There was no traffic as it was more of a foot path. We might try to borrow some bicycles tomorrow and ride around but most things are within walking distance - though no one seems to walk and all prefers mopeds, even just to travel one block.

Traffic here is not as bad as Hanoi. There was quite a bit of congestion in the city and I did learn how to cross crazy busy intersections. Slow and steady, and everyone moves around you. It's quite unnerving to walk not through but into the traffic. Vehicles actually move into oncoming traffic when making left turns. It's crazy but I didn't see a single accident when I was in Hanoi. Our driver on the way back from our Ha Long Bay tour did accidently cross over to the other side of the median, into oncoming traffic somehow. He just slammed on the breaks, backed up and then got back on the right side of the road. Everyone else was still sleeping and I was the only one aware of the incident (other than the driver and tour guide). I don't think the others even woke up.

I am still so homesick for D and L. I miss Anabelle, too, and the sorrow seems to come on suddenly. H has forbidden the family to ask me about her but that doesn't change the grief. It's not as consuming but it is hard to catch my breath at times when I think of her. I think being around people all day has afforded me little "down time." It's funny saying that as I'm usually the one one the go. But, I must admit that I do need down time now and then.

No comments: