Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I've been awake since 2:47am. The house is so quiet. My thoughts are so loud.

Five days ago I was in Vietnam. It seems like another lifetime. And now I'm back in my normal life. Except that nothing feels normal. Unless normal is the aching pain that is still my constant companion.

After weeping on D's shoulder, I feel a tremendous love for this man who is my best friend, lover and father of my children. I am so blessed to be married to a man who loves me so deeply and adores my post-baby body. I asked him how he could possibly be attracted to my "elephant's knee" (how I fondly describe what use to be my tummy). His response, "because I know what it means...that you have borne my children." Did I mention how blessed I am?

Lately, thoughts of another baby linger longer. But it seems inappropriate somehow to be having those thoughts. Anabelle died less than two months ago. The grief is still so deep. The tears unending.

I don't think there is a defined mourning period when you lose a baby. Nothing will ever erase the hurt and pain, not even another child. By trying to create parameters, am I also shutting out the possibility of joy? I will never stop mourning the loss of my sweet baby, but what guarantees do I have for tomorrow?

I never imagined L being an only child. She has so much "big sisterlyness" in her that it seems a shame to have only the one. That aside, D and I have always wanted more children. In my daydreams, I secretly longed for four. I just thought they would all be here on earth with me.

Should I be content with the family I have? Somehow, our family doesn't feel complete.

My friend J encouraged me to reach out for joy if it's possible. We don't know what the future holds. Every day something changes. Things we don't expect can happen. One day can change your entire future. The routine check up that leads to a diagnosis of cancer; the joyous birth that ends in tragedy; the obligatory visit that opens doors and hearts to a long forgotten family.

What is it that I wait for? Will I ever feel ready to resume my life? When will I feel that I deserve happiness? The sun still rises and sets while I wait.

1 comment:

Leilani ly-huong N. said...

what you share with Co Hoa goes beyond the birdswing shape of your eyes and the curve of your lips, it is the depth of sorrow within them.

co Hoa also lost her newborn at birth (a second son) prior to losing 11-year-old "Dream," her firstborn son they nicknamed after the most sought after family status symbol/consumer good--a Honda Dream moped. in Quy Nhon, we visited her second son's ashes along the same wall that housed di Mai's remains.

she is mother to four sons, two on earth and two in heaven. did you catch what she said to you when she said her goodbyes our last evening in Saigon? she whispered that holding and loving her other babies didn't replace Dream but their sweetness, loving them eased the wildness desolation of her loss. and that is what she wanted for you, to ease your grief. like Ba Noi with the small gravesites of her lost babies co Nam and chu Son (and the one in her heart for Dad) and Ba Ngoai's longdistance longing for di Mai, all women hold their sorrow close to them til the end of days, but they do not stop living or loving or finding pleasure in their other sweet babies.